Category Archives: House Hunting Tips
Finding the right home can seem overwhelming. Here are a few tips to help you find the home of your dreams.
- Priorities – Before looking at houses, write down everything you want out of a home with input from all members of the household. Once you start looking, it can be easy to get swayed by charming details. Keep your priority list close at hand.
- Comparison charts – Once you have seen a fair amount of homes, it can become difficult to keep track of the features in each one. Making a comparison chart will allow you to weigh the pros and cons of the homes you are looking at. Be sure to take notes during or directly after each showing.
- Furniture measurements – Although furniture measurements probably isn’t the deal breaker, it is important to note if your current furniture will presents a problem.
- Ask to take photos – Taking photos or videos will help the important features of each home stay fresh in your head when it comes time to sit down and weigh out the pros and cons.
- Closets and cupboards – Proper and adequate storage is important. It is important to take note of the number and size of storage spaces throughout the house.
- Lift the rugs – If you are serious about making an offer on a home it it important to know what you are getting into. Rugs are a good way to hide damage. You have a right to know what is going on under there.
- Taking a look at the home at different times during the day – It is important that if looking at a house for a second time, that you look at it at a different time to notice the changes in light as well as the atmosphere in the neighborhood.
- Looking at the finer details – It is important to look at things outside your usual line of vision. Be sure to check out the ceilings, walls, floors, trim, windows, and roof.
- Insurance and taxes – Depending on the location and age of the home, it is important to take note of how much the taxes on the home will be as well as home insurance. If the home is older the home insurance could cost a substantial amount more than a newer home.
- The neighborhood – It is important to note that the neighborhood can affect the homes values. Do the neighbors take care of their lawns? Is there any major construction planned in the area? Does the home back up to a busy street?